11.28.2009

Crabby, Haircuts, and Eyebrows


We struggled a little bit today.  A little bit of defiance (her) + a little bit of yelling (me) = ugh.  I don't want to teach Tesfu that screaming at people is any sort of useful sort of conflict resolution, so I truly try not to do it.  But today... today didn't work.

We have already promised each other tomorrow will be better, for both of us.  Well, that, and she already knows two 'not listening' infractions tomorrow and the handheld video game goes in the closet.  Now why didn't I think of that this morning?

Probably too busy being angry.  Not a good Mom day.

Good news is, the whole day wasn't a bust.  We did some secret Christmas crafts to give as presents that she had a blast doing.  I also had a chance to take down all of her braids today and trim her hair.  And look, it doesn't even look uneven! 

Ahhh... hello sweetie.  Sorry I was a pain-in-the-butt Mom today. 


And you better be sorry you were a pain-in-the-butt kid.

I just realized while looking at this picture, that this is probably the clearest picture of her eyebrow scars I have ever seen.  Anyone in the know of Ethiopian culture recognize these scars?



Can you see them?  They are perfectly parallel to each other, and obviously very deliberate.  Best I have ever been able to find is that they were a part of a traditional medical procedure - but I don't know for sure, or exactly what for?  We didn't notice them while in Ethiopia, so I didn't ask anyone.

I've always been curious, and I am sure she will wonder one day, too.  Anyone have any input?

Anyway, looking forward to a better day tomorrow - we are putting up the Christmas tree!  Hope everyone is having a good weekend.


Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment